Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Veganism? Let's Be Honest.

For the past 5-6 years, I was always going back and forth in terms of what I was eating and what I was not eating - eventually, I just grew out of the whole meat eating thing..just because I never enjoyed it anymore (I know, shocking). But I must say, I sure did learn a lot during this summer when I threw all animal-products and meat out the window (not literally). The 5 months of eating whole, plant-based foods positively affected my appearance as well as my "inner-self." What I noticed:

  1. Natural weight loss - yep, I didn't even have to try. I just ate whatever my heart desired and enjoyed every single bite. No counting calories, fat, or whatever the heck those fad diets tell you to count. By simply sticking with a lifelong diet of whole, plant based foods, your weight will come down as you reveal the lean body we are all meant to have! By the end of the summer, I had lost 17lbs in total!!
  2. You want abs? This goes with #1, along with the weight loss...there came the abs..or almost there abs. And do you wanna know something? Zero crunches. Just some planks here and there - mostly through my yoga practices. My fiber and water intakes were probably off the charts through all the juicy fruits and veggies - so it always kept things moving, if ya know what I mean. I also think that the fiber & water helped to keep my stomach looking as flat as it can be. I experienced no stomach issues! 
  3. Clear skin - Your complexion, the way your skin looks overall will change dramatically as you eat more leafy greens, colorful vegetables & fruit. I think my skin went through a "detox" period where I began to break out all of sudden, but now..my skin looks great even without the over the counter acne meds or prescribed pills. And according to some people - I'm "glowing." Thank you friends & family! (This is one of the last changes I noticed..I think it is because it takes a longer time for your body to flush all that junk out of your system).
  4. No alarm clock needed - my body is my own alarm clock now! I find it easier to wake up during the early hours without having to press the snooze button a million times.
  5. Taste preferences - The natural sugars in fruit, the "pure" tastes of fresh vegetables and other plant-based foods have altered my taste buds so that I am constantly craving all of these fresh produce when I'm ravenous. I rarely reach for brownies, or candy - processed/refined sugars! 
I love how much I learned about my body - and food in general. I'm so thankful to have had the encouragement from family and friends during my journey. However... the negatives? People would tell me how 'sad' it is that I can't eat certain foods, but I just don't want to eat it. I prefer to eat something that's pure, unprocessed, and unrefined..because it's what my body loves and can process more easily. As simple as that. What is so sad about that? That's the only thing I didn't like about this whole experience...the labeling of the diets and the negative stereotypes that go along with them. 

To be honest, I am going to began incorporating some seafood and eggs back into my diet - but steering clear from dairy as much as possible. And of course, I will continue to not consume any meat. That definitely wouldn't make me a vegan, or necessarily a true vegetarian. But who cares? I want to continue to eat the foods I love, without being judged by anyone else! From here and on, I do not want to subscribe to any dietary labels or specific diets. I still respect all the vegans and vegetarians out there, you continue to do your thing! :) I'm just a healthy freak who loves to eat food as close to their natural state as possible.

Thanks for reading! 

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting post. I don't think I could ever be a vegan, or even a vegetarian, but since I have people in my life now that are vegans, I'm finding myself more open to the idea of eating a vegan meal every now and again. For me, it's a way to actually increase my food choices.

    Honestly, there's one vegan place I go to now that leaves me dreaming about my next visit there!

    xoxo Jackie
    http://somethingaboutthatthing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete